Monday, February 21, 2011

A memory or two

Some family visiting this past 10 days stimulated a look at old pictures. Here is a picture of the home where my folks lived when I was born.

We just did not seem to talk about all of this (probably I just have forgotten) when I was younger and I don't remember how my dad acquired the log house. It may have been on the property as this was a CNR quarter. The Canadian National Railroad had acquired a number of parcels of land as part of their commitment to build the railroad across Canada. In 1949 the folks bought a 1/4 of land 3 miles east and my dad moved the log portion to that property as the main part of what would be our home from 49 to about 1956 or so when another larger house was moved into position only 10 feet  (maybe more) west it. I remember that sometime before the old house was moved away and during the spring or summer following the larger houses' arrival, there was a very large thunder storm and a bolt of lightening seemed to pass between the 2 houses. The next day we found a large white poplar in the pasture north of the house and the top was blown apart. We found pieces of the tree nearly 100 ft. away. The old log house and the kitchen finally got moved away to become a garage and a shelter for pigs. I must try to dig up a picture of that old house!

Seeing the picture and comments over at Craig Larson's  The Earth-Sheltered Solar Canadian prompted me to post this.
There are many good resources online and Saskatchewan Gen Web is a good place to start to see some of the history of Saskatchewan. Another is the Saskatchewan Encyclopedia Project. Oh for time to do some reading!

One of the projects I did do this winter was to create a picture book of 20 pages about our year 2010. The particular online company I chose was Photoinpress.ca. This is not an endorsement of them (no kickback) but I liked that you could download the software to build your book and then load the book to their server when you were ready. Cost is about the same as most others. And we really like the quality of the printing and binding. It took about 10 days from upload to arrival at regular rates and that is good since we live in the country. A wonderful way to put your year into a condensed version and use some of the 100's of digital pictures you took and never look at again! We have received many compliments so far.

1 comment:

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Such a fascinating post! I love the old log home. They just have so much soul.

Your photo book looks like a great project. What a nice way to put together a themed group of photos.

No worries about you not keeping busy! :)