Friday, May 16, 2008

Spring is here and the wind is dry and blustry




Pictures are:
Transplanted Columbines
Assorted Morning Glory plants.
Daylily seedlings.
Catalpa speciosa germinating.
Tulips which my mother in law planted sometime in the 70's.

It is at this time of year when the very real lyrics from a song by Connie Kaldor run through my head! Pick "Harsh And Unforgiving" from the songs and wait till she sings! Check around her site for some other great music and fun!
As the wind blows hard and dry (blew a beautiful basket of Fuschias off the hook today!) and the plants wilt and the soil goes dry - one does wonder "why do I keep trying to grow plants in this place?" Thank God for safe places like my basement or the workshop where I plant and transplant and occasionally get flowers. Or the old back porch where Raspberry Pixie and Orange Crush Daylilies will bloom in their pots in the window soon. I transplanted 46 Columbine seedlings from 4 varieties out of 13 I planted. Only 3 of the remaining have germinated and are growing. The rest have gone back into the fridge for 15 days of cold treatment. Hopefully that will help them make up their mind!
I am also hardening off - 4 O'Clocks, Balloon flower, Morning Glories, tomatoes, and cabbages. Also Clematis plants that need some conditioning.
Planting soon.

2 comments:

Gardenista said...

Isn't it amazing that you can have tulips that bloom for that many years and all these fancy new varieties only do well for 3 years! Wow, you'll have a nice show of columbines. What kinds are you growing? Did you have some goal in mind? (colors, size, foliage?)

Clayton said...

We have been amazed that this particular tulip continues to grow. There were a couple more and they may still show up too! Different color.

I started out saying to someone from England on the GardenBuddies Aquilegia forum that I would like some seeds as she was giving them away. She sent me 13 envelopes of seed so I started with some of them last year. Then I ordered a few from an Ebay lady in Pennsylvania. Got a few more from England on a trade for Clematis and then bought another couple on another site. Now I want to be able to keep a plant and sell the rest. I have them in #6 pots from last year and 3.5 from this years seeding.
Oh and I gathered seed in the city in a yard I was looking after. No rhyme or reason, I just like them! Problem is you always end up with too many seeds. I have also ended up with about 40 Balloon flowers of 3 different kinds. I hope they will be hardy.