Friday, July 25, 2008

Old stuff

These folks were around for a number of years selling "top quality" garden plants. Sadly they really did not but you always got something. Quite a few of my lilies came from this 1998 catalogue which was their last.



4 comments:

Ewa said...

Hello :) long time no hear :)
this old stuff is so inteesting - do you know what happened?

I had one case since I garden, that the plant market got closed, despite that interest in gardening is growing in Poland.
In this case it was clear - the shop assistants were not behaving properly, so clients probably (me too) stopped coming.

Greetings,
Ewa

Clayton said...

Hi Ewa! Thanks for dropping by. I have just not been doing a lot of visiting or at least not many comments. I think these people just sold too low priced and they would replace anything they sold without question. They just did not sell good materials as they were more of a clearing house for the low grade plants and bulbs that others would/could not market. They looked good in the catalogue but were usually small and sometimes poor quality. They were strictly mail order.

Anonymous said...

Clayton, being in Saskatoon, I don't know if you have ever checked out the Little Trees Nursery in Martensville. I hope you don't mind if I post a link my own post about them.

I just did some amateur landscaping in my front yard and I have to say, anyone interested in gardening should give these guys a look if they haven't already. I was there for trees but stuff like raspberries and such can be found there as well.

http://www.zachbellshow.com/?p=293

Clayton said...

No problem! I have known these good folks for a number of years and drop in from time to time to share stories and on occasion buy a tree. Ha! They give good information and have a helpful web site.
http://www.littletreenursery.com/

The only warning I have is to be sure and spread the rootball out when you take the plant out of the pot as they really grow the roots dense and this can cause them to not grow outward if not opened up and spread out. A good quality if you handle the plants right!