Daylily seeds are very easy to gather as they are like little marbles. If I am going to collect them I, cut off a piece of a used (leg not in) panty hose and tie over the growing seed pod to ensure the seeds do not get lost. Collecting is much easier of course on the early and mid season bloomers. I have not done crosses yet but there are many sites about daylilies where this is talked about. I collected seeds in a nursery in Ontario so I am expecting they will have been pollinated by other plants but some I did from my own are showing up very consistent with the parent. Here is a good visual site with lots of good info. http://www.pbase.com/ewelch/profile
3 comments:
Oh, the sweetest little crocuses! They just have to hang in for a few more days and spring will reture :-)
Did you collect the daylily seed yourself? I've often looked at the spent blooms and wondered how it would work!
Daylily seeds are very easy to gather as they are like little marbles. If I am going to collect them I, cut off a piece of a used (leg not in) panty hose and tie over the growing seed pod to ensure the seeds do not get lost. Collecting is much easier of course on the early and mid season bloomers. I have not done crosses yet but there are many sites about daylilies where this is talked about. I collected seeds in a nursery in Ontario so I am expecting they will have been pollinated by other plants but some I did from my own are showing up very consistent with the parent. Here is a good visual site with lots of good info. http://www.pbase.com/ewelch/profile
Post a Comment