Monday, April 16, 2012

Black Knot follow up to comments.

For those of you reading this blog and comments, you will have seen the comments about Black Knot in Prunus virginiana - known to most as the  common Chokecherry. I thought you might want to see what Black Knot looks like and have some resources to check. There are many on the net and here is one. The disease is a problem through most cultivars of the species and can also be a problem in related species though I have not seen much of it here. This is the variety Canada Red or Schubert because of the dark purple-red leaves. If pruned hard at the base it can be a nice single stem but because it suckers so badly it is best left as a multi-stem shrub. I noticed in the seedlings I was potting up there were already side shoots (not roots) coming from the main stem. I did wonder if there would be a way to screen the plants and select a plant with less tendency to this characteristic which makes it a so so landscape plant. As you will note in one of the reference sheets, this plant was grafted to Mayday which is less of a suckering plant but is now grown from cuttings and sometimes even seed. I was surprised to note that it is propagated by seeds as this takes you away from a good pure tree and then you are not guaranteed a "select" variety. Another questionable nursery practice!

Another problem I found walking through our little mixed woodlot was "broom" in Prunus pennsylvanica. I was not aware that it was a real problem in Prunus but some research on the net shows it to be a real issue in some species of the Genus. I am not sure what this is from but I hope to remember to cut them out! It is a little hard to see but there are a multitude of stems coming out of one area on the main stem.
And finally just plain wind damage. This is a Silver poplar Populus alba that has suffered a sever indignation. I think because they were growing in a bit of sheltered space which has now become open there is more exposure to wind and it has been to the detriment of this particular tree. It can be a very beautiful specimen tree but is a bit weak branched. The leaves are very distinct with the bright green to moss green tops and white bottoms. I need to start some new cuttings and get some new trees going.
Until next time!

1 comment:

Aagaard Farms said...

Great follow up! Thanks for the info!