Monday, October 29, 2012

Off topic - Books I have read in the last several years

I have been wanting to post about this for some time but it has always slipped my mind. Aside from the garden blogs, journals and other stuff, I have also found time to read some books or have a couple on the go at present.

Historical, as in more than a year ago are:
Jimmy Carter - (Julian E Zelizer) a short read and quite to the point about this US President
The Preacher and the Presidents - (Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy) about the life of Billy Graham and his connections to the US Presidents.
Last Lion - The Fall and Rise of Ted Kennedy - (The Boston Globe Edited by Peter S. Canellos) About the political and personal life of Ted Kennedy.
A Simple Havana Melody - (Oscar Hijuelos) I read this because of my interest in Cuba having been there 3 times I could identify some of the areas this novel talks about. I did not however frequent the kinds of places this character was want to do!
Several of these above were on a $3.00 shelf at our Giant Tiger store so they were a cheap acquisition.

Then  I also read:
Praying Like Jesus - (James Mulholland) which is a real challenge of our affluent position in contrast to the life of Jesus
The House Church Book - (Wolfgang Simson) which is a look at getting the church back into homes where it began in many ways.

So for the present:
STAMPEDE -The Rise of the West and Canada's New Power Elite - (Gordon Pitts) a look at the way Oil sands has changed the whole business skyline in Alberta and Saskatchewan and to so extent British Columbia. I am not done yet but a good read.
Hell or High Water - My Life in and out of Politics - (Paul Martin) still working through this one as well but a good personal book whether you liked Paul Martin or not.

I have ordered from Amazon for future reading:
My Years as Prime Minister - (Jean Chretian) we'll see!
A Field Guide to American Windmills - (T. Lindsay Baker). I am hoping this one will tell us more about our windmill.

So I think that is it except in all this I do find time to read the Bible and other study material so I am surprised at myself because I had really given up on reading a few years back.
Some authors just really catch your imagination and I am just reminded that I have also read a number of books by Bruce Feiler over the last 5 or 6 years.
He has a number of books but the ones I have read include:
Walking the Bible; Where God Was Born; Abraham; Learning to Bow; The Council of Dad's ( A very Heartwarming Story of Survival) and  latest books "Generation Freedom: The Middle East Uprisings and the Remaking of the Modern World." 

I'm done lunch is ready!

Take care everyone who is rading this. 

No comments: