We have been feeding the birds on black sunflowers and some mixed nuts along with a suet tray and there has been an increase in the number of visitors over the last few weeks. The number of Redpoles has increased and they are fun to watch. There are not many Chickadees which we always hope for.
Some neat things you see in winter are gatherings like this of our neighbours horses. They have a feed area and water at the other end of this pasture but here they are digging in the snow. They do look well coated for winter and I like the colors so they became the background for my blog!
Several orchids are blooming and we are delighted about it since they are not easy to grow but these look good. We have an infestation of Wooly Aphids which I am treating with a solution of rubbing alcohol and water at about 1/3 to 2/3 mix of 70 % alcohol. Seems to help but never quite gets rid of the pests.
I have a bout seven trays of lily seeds starting to grow in the basement and many are now growing their first true leaf which is very nice. Several crosses and some just open pollinated from Trumpet Lilies.
There are a couple of Daylily crosses to be started soon as well.
Here is the pest!
And some winter scenes.
Last but not least are the deep fried New Year's Cookies which are a tradition for New Year's day. Tasty and you can find a couple of good recipes on the Mennonite Girls Can Cook website.
3 comments:
Oh, I do love those winter scenes! The horses are gorgeous. No wonder you have them up as your background. :)
As I suspected, things are growing at your place under the lights! Can't wait to see the lilies as they progress.
All the best in the New Year to you and yours!!
Ms. S has left a new comment on your post "Happy New Year to all!":
Oh, I do love those winter scenes! The horses are gorgeous. No wonder you have them up as your background. :)
As I suspected, things are growing at your place under the lights! Can't wait to see the lilies as they progress.
All the best in the New Year to you and yours!!
I was trying to approve this on my tablet and accidentally hit delete so the Comment did not publish and had to paste it in.
This week I see green peaking out of several of the Narcissus bulbs in the dish garden. I am hoping they will grow well but one never knows.
Time to set some Daylily seeds to germinate so that is the next project.
CW
Post a Comment