Monday, April 29, 2013

Spring will get here but in the mean time........................

Thought I should post a few pictures here as I have been putting most of my winter up on Facebook
The snow is going but we got a new dump through the night but it is melting quickly.
I have begun cleaning out lily beds and they are coming nicely since the bed is in the warm zone at the south end of our house. There are so many little bulbs just under the surface of the ground that it makes me wish I had dug them out. Maybe next fall.

There are over 175 little pots of lilies in my workshop and I see buds this week so flowers soon. I would have liked to get them out before they bloomed but what can you do!
  There are some OT crosses in these as well lots of Asiatics so it will be a real color collage when they bloom.
Last October my neighbour told me about bags of Tulips, Daffs and Narcissus being sold at the local Auction/Clearing House so I bought 2 bags of Narcissus. Posted about this earlier. So we have enjoyed Narcissus blooms now for almost 2 months. The 32 oz. drinking glasses seem to work very good for this and I use Sunshine Mix #4 for soil.



There are only three named varieties in this grouping and I do not have the bags handy to say what they are. So for $6 we have had a good show.










Spring has been very revealing about animal damage to plants as well. Found many Sandcherries, some Nanking Cherries and other shrubs with stripped bark as the snow is leaving.

These are several of my Blue Honeysuckles. They have been eaten by deer and stripped by mice. There are some plants which are even worse!

So hello spring  More to come as we get some cleanup done.

Clayton

1 comment:

Bev said...

Isn't this spring slow... It is snowing here in Alberta as I type... I don't think I have seen a bud on a tree yet....