Friday, February 23, 2018

2018 Already!

Thought I would put up a few notes in case someone still comes this way! It has been a cold winter but I have gotten back into trying to grow Clematis seeds. The first round included seed from California of Clematis crispa and a Clematis crisp a cross. I have several small plants of the cross but the crispa seedling I had died. Sadly there are no new ones so far.


This is a seedling of the cross. The next round was an assortment of old and new seeds including seeds from  a gardener in Manitoba. So far the seeds to germinate have been Clematis hirsutissima.


There are also several Clematis crispa growing in the wood work shop in our barn. they are trying to bloom but the temperatures have been so cold outside that my heaters inside are not keeping a constant temperature so there have been bud s that dried out. There is a new crop of buds on one of the seedlings now so I am hoping that will survive. 


Other seedlings I have coming are Clementine oranges, Yellow dauricum lilies, dates and irises.




Another interesting project is a package of seeds I bought over Ebay from a seller in China as Clematis. The seed arrived and is definitely not Clematis but me be rose seeds. Some of the seed has been put into the fridge in damp vermiculite and I am hoping to see something a little later in spring!

More adventures are on the way!




3 comments:

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Ohh, mystery seeds! That will be interesting.

It certainly has been a cold winter her in Edmonton as well. I always tell myself that hopefully the cold stalls the mountain pine beetle. ;-)
As for my garden, we have good snow cover now, however, December was extremely cold so it will be a mystery as to what suffered and what didn’t.

Glad you are keeping busy with your seeding!

Sherry

Clayton said...

Heh thanks for the comment! The Blogger world is pretty quiet as far as I am concerned. It is too easy just to find a related interest Group on Facebook and then not to have to be an author as well!

I am going to try and post at least once a month or so to keep mine active.

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Glad to hear it. Although I spend more time on FB or Instagram these days, I do like to pop into Blogger and what some of my fellow gardeners are up to. ��