Wednesday, January 9, 2019

2019 and the Clematis are doing fine.

Thought I would put up some pictures of what is happening in the woodwork shop these days. I am so pleased with how the plants are doing in moderate warmth like 12 - 15 C and low light. The Clematis crispa seem to love it as I am pruning them constantly. Of course the low light makes them grow a little longer interstems so that is part of the problem!

I have a couple of no names which I think might bloom as well!

These are seedling Clematis crispa with an adult plant from cuttings (a commercial nursery plant). There is a Clematis 'Venosa Violacea' on the floor at the back. No sign of buds there yet.
 This shelf is a mix of seedlings and commercial plants.
















This is a bud on an unknown. I bought this and 6 other plants at Home Depot. 5 of these are commercial cutting produced Clematis crispa and there is also an unknown there as well as some other seedlings.

 I have also set to germinate a number of new seed sets so I am looking forward to how they will do as well. I soaked the seeds for about 3 days and then put them in wet vermiculite in baggies.

 Soaking the seeds and some of them look very green so it will be interesting to see how they do.

Most of the seed is open pollinated but there are a couple of deliberate crosses sent to me by garden friends.

This group has number of different species or hybrids.

 This set came in the mail with some seed coats broken and the kernels already out so they are in a separate trial. This is Clematis crispa hybrid seed.










This is a new flower on one of the commercial Clematis crispa.


No comments: