Monday, September 30, 2019

Some comments and observations regarding bottled water!


From a September 30th Facebook post. The day the snow started!


When I started my seed sowing in January of this year I decided to try bottled water to water my seedlings. This is not an advertisement for the water! ( Forget the environmental comments as they will be deleted!) 




We have very hard water which creates crusting at the top and bottom of the pots. By mid spring, with the first rains, I had moved about half of my seedlings to my woodwork shop under lights and began watering with rainwater using the same fertilizer in both places most of the time. At the end of summer now I was noticing that the woodwork shop plants (they also get sunlight) watered with rainwater/fertilizer had very few plants produce a flower while the plants under lights in the basement and receiving the bottled water continue to produce flower buds and flowers. These were all set to germinate in January! Here are some.pictures with the water label and some of the new buds coming. I would like to repeat this next spring if I can get a few seeds to start in January again! Most of my seeds are Clematis crispa/crispa hybrids but also include others like Viorna mix (fusca blooming right now)! It has been very interesting to watch!







No comments: