Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Happenings

Balloon flower seedlings transplanted and one of my Blackberry Candy Lilies blooming. This is a seedling from last fall. Catalpa speciosa - Northern Catalpa "Gardens North" or is it "Kristl" or both! And then is my new cold frame from Lee Valley. $27 investment so I went and got a second one. I bought a remote weather monitor at XS Cargo some time back and so I can watch the temperature from the house and open the flaps as needed. I have been very impressed as I have seedlings germinating from a number of Clematis - Francis Rivis, Pink Flamingo and several C. koreana crosses. The Pink Flamingo and Francis Rivis I had really given up on! Also planted seeds yesterday of 4 O'Clocks, Nasturtiums, and a few Purple Cone Flower. Seeded in trays from Lee Valley. And into a plain plastic tray went tomatoes and a few Hollyhocks. My first Red Berry has come up which was not really expected! Also rototilled the garden area, a new shelter belt, and down some pathways in my Edible Blue Honeysuckle nursery. But today it is very windy so things will dry out a little too quick. Lastly another picture from our Ontario trip.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like your seedlings are making good progress. When do you plan on planting them outside? Sometimes I push the season a little here in Edmonton, but this is not the year to do that, with our recent snow. I made a note of some of your mail order sources. Which are your favourite?

Clayton said...

Thanks for dropping by!
Many of my seeds are exchanges of one kind or another.
GardenWeb, Farnorth Forum or the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum. I also have done exchanges on the GardenBuddies Webforum.

Gardens North is a good site for unusual and native seeds. Kristl is very knowledgeable.

Disappointing is Specialty Perrenials whose order I have not received and do not respond to email.

Clayton said...

You also asked about planting out. I am not in a rush here as we tend to get the best growth the last week in May and early June. And the predictions are for cool through May. The more hardy plants I will try and let nature take its course!