Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Just some pictures of starts in the basement

Well there are a few things getting started in the basement under lights. These little shrubby guys are some Mandarin type oranges from seed. Cuttings of a Chrysanthemum as I mentioned the other day as well as cuttings of an Ivy which my wife bought for outdoor pots. There are also shoots from a fuchsia which are rooting in water. I hope this all turns out as it will make for nice green before spring.

I have been trying the use of Hydrogen Peroxide soaks on some seeds to see if there is better germination. We will see. Also, there are new posts to my Clematis blog and to the Edible Honeysuckle blog.
Seed displays are going up or have gone up in many stores and of course one begins to look for thing of interest. I have had good success with "Matchless Seeds" which are elcheapo seeds found here in the Dolllar Stores and several other places. If you need just basic flowers and veggies they are a very good deal at like 3 or 4 packs for a $1! The quantity is small but that is great as you don't end up with a bunch of leftovers.

2 comments:

Gardenista said...

Wow! Mandarin orange trees from seed!? Where did you get the seeds? From the oranges we all eat at Christmas or were these marketed seeds for growing? The plants look fantastic. I am really interested to see how those turn out. You have a very interesting selection down there.

Clayton said...

Well they are seeds from one of the mandarin types or sizes. I need to look back and make sure which one. They took a little while to germinate but they have grown fine. I doubt very much if they will do much as oranges typically grow a shrubby tree from seed. I have three which I am pruning hard and two which have not been pruned yet. They already have thorns which is also typical of seedling growth. Any seeds from oranges should grow with the right conditions. Thanks for stopping by.