Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Flowers in spite of the rain

Well the water has stopped flowing through the culvert in our driveway. This has been an unprecedented season of water flow. Our wells have been within 2 ft. of the surface of the ground around them so the water table is very high. We (my wife and her brother actually) punched a new hole in the floor of our basement bathroom (North end of the basement and we already have a sump in the south end) to pump out as the water has been running under the wall at that end. Both pumps run about every 20 minutes. I pumped the well down about 30 ft and by the next morning it was back up within 6 ft. of the top of the cribbing. But the surface of the garden has already begun to be dry. Go figger!
What is redeeming the whole thing is flowers every where. This year I did Morning Glories in pots (2) and they are so nice. I also planted baby roses from Walmart  $4.99 and got 4 or 5 cuttings per pot. The little yellows are blooming and the reds and pinks are coming. Best $5 for plants you will ever spend!
Also blooming are seedling Clematis (integrifolia, recta, mandschurica, viticella, and others. Also lilies and poppies. The somniferums are spectacular.
Lily Tango Dot Com



Seedling Hemerocallis

Seedling of Clematis Radar Love
Peony
Wave Petunia. These grow easily from cutting so I have made several more pots and baskets.
Clematis mandschurica ( or it could be recta, I have lost the marker and they do look quite similar. These are from seed)
Clematis Joe Zary.
Clematis Doctor FL Skinner.
Seedling of Clematis Harlow Carr.
Seedling of Clematis integrifolia Olgae.
Seedling Siberian Blue Iris.
Seedling Clematis (could be recta or mandschurica or another herbaceous type as it was from a mix.)
Morning Glories in a hanging basket.
Morning Glory Heavenly Blue.
Morning Glory Candy Pink.
Morning Glory Flying Saucers.
Morning Glory Chocolate.



The whites are either Moonflower or Pearly Gates.
Seedling of Clematis Rosea.
The yellow baby rose from the Walmart. cutting pot.
And last but not least for this time (how can you tell I have been waiting to get these up and it is rainy this am?) dwarf Delphinium Gentian Blue.

2 comments:

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Beautiful flowers there, Clayton! Everything looks so green and healthy!

We have a lot of water right now too. Its been an odd year, alternating between weeks of very dry and weeks of rain!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Gorgeous flowers! In June when the woods were so full of wildflowers I attributed it to the extra moisture. At least someone is loving it! (Well to be honest, I do appreciate the rain as we have been so parched - but enough already!) :)