Monday, February 13, 2012

Some winter comments

Well we are out of the -30 C nights and on to 0 C days here in the Saskatoon area. The days are actually very nice.  I had to blow snow over the lily area to keep it covered.
 It will not last long but I am hoping the snow will return or the temperatures will stay under 0 C. This is a very unusual winter for snow cover as it has been slow coming. The evidence of animal traffic is more evident now that there is snow again. The deer and Jack rabbits are passing through quite often. Also lots of small bird tracks. We have heard the partridges greeting each other but don't see them often.





We have had a resident Snowy Owl and are very pleased to see him from time to time sitting on the power line poles here.  Such a majestic fellow(?)gal(?).


There are some lilies starting to peek through in pots in my work shop. Early but I am looking forward to getting the bulbs up to a better size.



5 comments:

Aagaard Farms said...

So jealous of the owl sightings! Nice!

Snow cover is an issue this year on the Prairies. I won't know until June just how much root damage has been done in my borders! There's nothing around here to put anywhere else. And yesterday, the pipes from the well outside froze for the first time every! No water on a Sunday morning until a neighbor suggested we take a blow dryer to the incoming pipe!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

A snowy owl! My favourite. I once saw one flying towards me in the headlights in a snowstorm at Sylvan Lake in Central AB. It was the eeriest sight ever - so majestic and beautiful. Lucky you!

Clayton said...

They are majestic and the winter bird count identified a number of them in the area around Saskatoon. We are going for a drive in the late afternoons to see if we can get some better pictures. This one seems to follow the high line alongside the road. Around here that is the highest vantage point for checking for food. They seemed to come down into the area early this year.

Clayton said...

Norah hope there were no broken pipes! I take it not from your comments. Our water source for the most part is a cistern so no problem there but we do pump water from a deep well (90 ft.) for drinking. Right now I think we have enough snow cover but earlier on there just was non so whatever happened then I am not sure. I am expecting some dead lilies and other perrenial plants.

investment in farmland said...

Hi Clayton: My husband and I are British and have been involved in the ag industry in different capacities for awhile. Coming from England originally, we have never much had to deal with weather much below zero. For us, a "cold" winter would be with days around zero, and warm would be around 10-15 Celsius. Hearing that goring from minus 30 to 0 is an improvement is mind boggling to me - I could not survive your neck of the woods. Mary