Saturday, April 14, 2012

A few more spring things.

So I dug up about 60 random seedlings of Prunus virginiana - Chokecherry ( Some green some Purple Leaf), Prunus padus commutata,- Mayday Tree, Malus baccata - Siberian Crab, Prunus pennsylvanica - Pin Cherry, and Prunus tomentosa - Nanking Cherry. There are going to be a few Fraxinus species (pennsylvanica or nigra) - Green Ash or.. as I also have Black Ash around. I also hope to take some suckers of Prunus virginiana - Garrington Chokecherry as it is a real good producer, and also from one of our own seedlings of Chokecherry which makes the best syrup and jelly. Some Blue Spruce to dig up as well and put into pots. Lots to do.

I have potted up the remains after giving 10 assorted to a friend. Here is a strange thing - I bought Sunshine No. 4 as I always do but also bought some "Organic potting mix" at Costco. When I got looking at them I was surprised by the size difference for what was supposed to be in them. The Sunshine Mix is 107 liters and the Organic is 85 liters but look at the difference in size. Weird!

 Seems out of proportion to me.
 Seedlings standing in water waiting to be potted up.



These unfriendly root pieces were in the Sunshine Mix which really surprised me. There is new growth as well if you look closely at the left hand piece. I have enough of my own Quack Grass thanks.




Don't forget to drop by my Lily Blog, Bird page and my project page. I put new stuff up but no way that I have discovered yet to make it known unless I say something here.


Here was the first flower of spring for us. The Violas and Johnny-Jump-Ups are very busy blooming already.

4 comments:

Aagaard Farms said...

We have a huge problem in Manitoba with black knot disease on chokecherry. Is it not a problem in Saskatchewan?

Clayton said...

Black Knot is a problem in some and not in others. It seems some things in my collection are around for years and do not get a single lump and then the next one looks like some freak with long black arms! I watch my garden plants and also some of my ornamentals and just make sure the fungus gets cut off early. The fruit is still very worth having and if one is diligent there is not much of a problem. Some like Canada Red Select are a disaster! It also helps to inter-plant with non Prunus in shelterbelts for instance so the chokecherry is not the dominant tree. I have not seen it on Pin Cherry here or on Mayday but I suspect in dense plantings it could occur. The one which is a seedling here in our yard and produces very good fruit has never had fungus even in the wet years.

Aagaard Farms said...

You should definitely be progating the ones that seem resisitant!

Clayton said...

That is one reason why I have not been too diligent in getting rid of the trees. And these are trees to 30 feet. I am hoping some of these seedlings may be open pollinated and have picked up some resistance from other seedlings growing in the area. Or there could be crosses with Mayday!