Sunday, October 21, 2012

Some fall preparations.

Well I have been working away at some of the things needed for fall cleanup and plant care.
 This is the seed head of Lavatera cashmerianna, a perrenial species in the Lavatera group. They were grown from seeds and did a great job of coming into bloom and finishing the summer in full bloom. I want to go gather seeds yet tomorrow.
 This is my Beta grape vine which did yield enough fruit to make a couple of small jars of jelly. I am going to try laying the vines down to see if they will not freeze back as far. They are hardy rooted but so far the tops have always died back to a bout a foot above the ground.
 This is an Edible Blue Honeysuckle plant which did not like the dry season we had this fall and went to sleep early.
 About ten days ago these butterflies were out and about so I am not sure if they got fooled by the temperatures or what. This one settled into the green grass and did not move when I got down to take a picture. There were some yellow ones around as well.
 The last Lupine still blooming. I quite enjoy these.

 Violas still blooming heartily. Cute.















The Clematis viticella seedlings have produced a mass of seeds which I will not harvest as I don't want more plants and just do not have time for distributing seeds. Sorry to anyone interested. If you are in the Saskatoon area I am open to having people harvest their own.









Caught this air balloon flying by our windmill.

3 comments:

Bev said...

Looks like you still have lots of 'fall' going on in Saskatchewan... we have had snow....I think our fall was cut short...We just sold our place...and have missed doing our fall yard work!

sensiblegardening said...

A windmill .. not too many people can say thaey have one of those. My husband would love one!

Clayton said...

Hi folks. Thanks for dropping by. So I posted this and then this week we got a dump of about of between 8 and 10 inches of snow. Thankfully it has been warm enough that it continues to melt in the daytime but we are headed for colder temperatures so not sure how much will go.We did need the moisture so that part is very good.
Bev - The moving is one thing I am not looking forward to but we are of an age where the work is getting to be too much. Our yard is about 5 acres and about an acre and half is stuff that needs maintenance other than mowing.
Lynne - I think I am gathering that from your "About Me". This is an original Beatty Pumper which was used to pump water for the house and cattle in the 40's or 50's. We now have an electric pump in the basement so the windmill is a showpiece. We think we will sell it when we are ready to move but who knows. Here is one for sale on Kijiji in Ontario. http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=385771125