Monday, November 26, 2012

A few things are growing.

Well I started some seeds of Ponkan Oranges in the summer and repotted them recently. Sadly now they have Wooly aphid which I don't know if it came with the soil or migrated from our collection of orchids. I brought home an orchid that must have been infested and now they are spreading. Bah!


 And of course the birds have left their homes behind and the snow is settling on the roofs.

 We have several feeders out and the few birds who come are sparrows. We also have a suet block out which the Magpies really like.
The Lilies are starting to germinate over on my Lily Blog.


4 comments:

Aagaard Farms said...

Wooly aphids are a big pest! Will you go after them with a Q-tip with alcohol or something! It is the lull right now, isn't it? Just before we start growing again - serious!

Clayton said...

On the orchids my wife is wiping and spraying soap spray. I took the orange trees into the sink and washed them down with quite a warm spray and it seemed to take all the visible ones off. I need to get some yellow sticky sheets up as they seem to be good for aphids which fly. Also likely will be fungus gnats soon and the stickies will get them as well.
It is somewhat that in between time but I am getting started early with lilies and narcissus. The Narcissus are growing roots but no stems coming yet. Only 75 more bulbs to find pans for or try to hang on to them till spring. Nice to hear from you. I hope all is well down on the farm.

Linda said...

It's nice that people get birds coming, and suet attracts many. You have a very nice blog. Greetings from Montreal.

Anonymous said...

Clayton
Water your soil once every two weeks with a 3% Peroxide solution. This will keep them from emerging from the soil. Once you have them ?? Try everthing !!!!!!!!!!!!!