Friday, November 2, 2012

Holidays, late bulbs and Bald Eagles!

Well we were able to take 3 days and go north for a short holiday. Sadly it was not the best time to be at Elk Ridge Resort as the snow was deep but wet and the ponds were not frozen. Also as you can tell from most pictures it was dull or foggy or both. As well the roads were the pits in places. On the other hand we were well treated and saw some wild animals so that made it all worth it.
Their resort is a Golf Destination in summer and a winter activity destination in winter. I had been betting on October lasting into November with the nice weather but of course that did not happen as we got a dump of snow and they got even more so there was about 10-14 inches of snow in the area around the resort.



 Over in Waskesiu the Elk were lazing around and on the road in a doe was eating in the ditch.




 As far as I know this was the first time I had seen Spruce Grouse this close up.(Falcipennis canadensis)  They were not "tame" but still stayed on the road till we were right up close.

 There was one Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus) on the road when we traveled south of  Waskesiu Village on Highway 263. We had a bit of a mishap about 15 kilometers from the south end of the park when the van began to go sideways and I was able to drive it into the shallow ditch and then back onto the road. I would give the credit to a Divine Hand!
 Appropriately we found the church at Elk Ridge when we returned! So nice to find a church here for the people.

Supper in front of the fire. Pretty warm. We had eaten well on our tour to Waskesiu so we had soup and desert and coffee!


That was Mon to Wed. this week.
Thursday I went to help our son haul some sheets of OSB for their garage ceiling and on the way home stopped at one of the local Auction House (PBR) who clear out stuff from Costco. They had bags of Daffodils (90) for $3.00 and Narcissus (50) for the same price. I came home with 2 bags of Narcissus and I am going to make some shallow plate gardens with the bulbs.
 Friday morning!
Today we woke up and looked out to see a Bald Eagle sitting in the large poplar in the yard next door. What a surprise. The neighbour tells us he has seen it here since the beginning of the week.

2 comments:

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Sounds like your trip had some unexpected pleasures with all the wildlife.

And to see a bald eagle is always a treat to me.

Look forward to seeing those bulb plates. :)

Clayton said...

I was told by an Ornithologist at our Saskatchewan Mennonite Central Committee (http://mccsk.ca/) meeting ( strange place to meet I know)that it is not unusual for Bald Eagles to stay around till the water is frozen over. Thing is we do not or have not seen them through the summer!
Today we are melting and finally there is actual sunshine so the sloughs are melting and there will be open water again.