Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bloomers and things!

Well some Clematises did not appear this spring yet and I think they will not do so with all the rain. But who knows. Oldest missing in action are Clematis Polish Spirit, Madame Julia Correvon, General Sikorski, John Paul II and a durandi. Also the main part of a large Clematis heracleifolia  died but there is still a shoot coming to the side. Not sure if it is a shoot or a seedling starting. We will see. What has amazed me is a row of about 15 Clematis integrifolia seedlings which I stuck in the ground last fall. Only one seems not to have made it. They are seedlings from "Rosea", "Olgae", "Tapestry", "alba" and "Floris V" seed sent from England. I am hoping they will bloom. Also doing well are seedlings of "Polish Spirit", viorna, fremontii, and several other non climbers which I have not identified.
A new seedling out of seed from Lagoon (I am beginning to be suspicious as it really does not have Lagoon form at all) has bloomed and I have posted pictures to the Gardenbuddies Clematis forum.  I think I will name this one as it really is a delightful plant. Now to see if I can get cuttings to start.
Blooming Clematis are alpina Ruby, White Swan, Doctor  FL Skinner, Joe Zary, seedlings of Lagoon (as above but others are blue) and integrifolia.
 Top is a Lagoon seedling, alpina Ruby and bottom is integrifolia.

There are about 70 seedlings of various sources in the greenhouse getting started but at this point they don't have a garden home.
Do I like Clematis???????

I planted my Clematis "Vancouver Morning Mist" yesterday and hope it will survive in the spot I chose. It has an amazing flower so I will take a cutting later on too as it is just beginning to start new shoots after blooming indoors in the winter and then sitting rather dormant for a couple of months. The article about this in the Vancouver Sun has been removed but it was developed by Fred Wein Clearview Horticultural Products in Aldergrove, BC. Here is a good article though about Clematis.
There are so many to choose from and especially if you get started into seedlings. For people interested in Clematis the Gardenbuddies forum (mentioned and linked above) is a great resource. I am seeing several very nice Clematis at Extra Foods this year but I am wondering about hardiness for them. They are Clematises Crystal Fountain and Josephine.

So I hope this has enthused someone to go and get some Clematises and not just "the purple one!"

2 comments:

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

They are all gorgeous! Now that you identified the 'White Swan' for me I want one. :)

Good luck with them all this season!

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Beautiful! I have no clematis right now but have had and plan to have. I am just "between clematis" at the moment. lol. (Its a time thing - I have none.) Maybe next year!

You have a green clematis thumb!