Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Little transplants and a new book

So the little plants on the gel plates are growing nicely and there are new germinations in the pansy and Goji Berry plates. So I have transplanted several Mimulus Giant Mix from my own collection to 3" pots in Promix BX/Mycorise Pro seed starter soil mix. I know it looks so small in there! They look very lonely in there with only their cotyledon leaves but I want to try them at different stages as long as they will keep going in the gel. I have set a frosted plastic drinking glass over them to act like a little greenhouse. This looks very promising and I am thinking I will make up an Agar solution with some sugar and fertilizer and see if that will work.


Also germinating are the Purple Pansy seeds from 2008 seed collecting. Encourages me to try a number of them as I think I collected seeds from about 12-15 different plants along with Violas. Then too there are the Goji Berries which are also growing roots. It is very interesting to watch the developing roots and first leaves. New life is so interesting.

Yesterday my new book arrived in the mail. "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Clematis" by Mary Toomey and Everett Leeds. What a wonderful resource.
Now for time to sit and read.

1 comment:

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Glad the gel is working out. I want to try that myself.

I love good gardening books!