First the new ideas. I have had sitting in my plant room several packs similar to these gel rooting units. Recently I picked up a package of 3" petri dishes with the intention of making my own gel for starting seed. Then it struck me! Use the gel from these prepacks and lets see what it does. So here are some pictures of several different seeds started in the gel. I planted 6 different kinds of seeds and the first responses came from Mimmulas Giant mixed and the second showing the beginnings of root growth are collected Pansy seeds. The Mimmulas are making a tiny forest!I also planted seeds of 2 Columbines, Edible Blue Honeysuckle, and Goji Berries.
So I have purchased Agar powder and just need to find a good recipe for making the gel here at home.
Also coming nicely in the plant room are early seeded Columbines and Morning Glories. There are also Clematis seedlings and lilies and daylilies. Awesome.


4 comments:
Wow - you are a true gardening spirit - trying new things and lots of different plants! I look forward to the results of your efforts. :-)
I've never dealt with the gel at all. When and how will you 'pot up' these sprouts? Or, will it all become apparent on your blog..........
Looks great, Clayton! I have not considered using the gel for seed starting. What a good idea! I will have to look into that.
I have several things started and growing now. Spring is such a great time, even if it is busy!
You are definitely having success with the gel. Like Aagaard Farms, I'd be interested in knowing when you pot them up. I haven't started any seeds yet ~ will be doing so in the next few weeks.
Post a Comment