
Things are growing well and new things are doing well even though the light is lower than it should be. This is a Goji Berry seedling growing in a peat pellet. They look very healthy. There are also some growing in potting soil as I started them in the gel plates. New pictures are available in the Gel Photo album. The little honeysuckles and the Morning Glories are doing well also.
This tray of Edible Blue Honeysuckle was very near 100 % germination. Very good.
These Morning Glories are also doing well as I have trimmed them back once already and they still continue to grow well. One of my favourite plants/flowers.
The lilies are beginning to grow true leaves and some are still germinating. See the wider leaves on the right of center.
Nice to see.
The Morning Mist Clematis now has 8 flowers and 2 buds!
There are also several African Violets blooming with great colors.







4 comments:
Looks good! Vigorous and healthy looking seedlings there!
I will be starting some morning glories from seed soon.
Great photos! I'm wondering where you acquired Honeyberry seed? Did you just harvest from your own berries?
Your Morning Glories look like winners this season - what a healthy bunch. Everything will be moving outside before you know it! :)
Sheryl - Morning Glories are one of my favorites. I was able several years ago to buy a pack of 15 on Ebay and though they did not all do well it was quite a color display. I have a hard time getting by them on the seed stands. And we don't always get the best in the commercial seeds.
Norah - The Blue Honeysuckle (Honeyberry is the trademark of a US company (check out One Green World)and Haskap is the proposed trade name from the U of Sask or used in Japan) seed grows well from home collected berries. You do however need two varieties to get good seed as they are not self fertile. Although they will from time to time produce a berry without a partner. Not sure if these have seeds or not or if it is some type of apomixis. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apomixis. So if you have friends who are growing them or they show up at the Farmer's Market, ask about the named variety they come from and what the other plant might be that the person has to act as a pollinator, buy some to eat and squeeze the seeds out of a few to try. If you look on my Blue Honeysuckle blog there is an old post about extracting seed. Because they are cross pollinated you have no idea what you will get most should be edible. I have been fortunate to buy seed and acquire seed from foreign gardeners as well as collecting here. A long answer!
Garden Ms S - later I think with the snow now here again!
Post a Comment