Thought I would put the pictures into my Picasa Web Album so you can check there from time to time to see how they are doing. I found some smaller pots in my collection so that is better. They look so lost in the larger pots. Here is a picture of a pansy plantlet scooped out of the gel. I tried to get a little gel with each one so it would have some moisture resources to start. This gel is a rooting gel for cuttings so it has hormones and a little very mild fert if I remember correct. This is a very uncontrolled experiment and probably bears doing again with more varieties of seed and better note taking as far as germination dates etc. I have noticed that the seeds of Columbine are beginning to mold so if you made your own gel, a little fungus fighter might be helpful.Here is a link to a great thread on the Gardenbuddies Clematis Forum about preparation and use of organic "concoctions" which might also might help in that area. I need to read more deeply on some of the links.
5 comments:
I am very intresting in the gel. I think I will do some research into making my own for seeding and transplants. Your's are looking good!
I am also beginning to research using lacto bacillus in the garden and chicken coop. Very interesting stuff!
Your picture is awesome! Great detail - you're quite the photographer.
Sheryl can you write a little blurb on your blog about that?
Norah I am sure interested in how this will work out and how to make something at home. I did a little reading about gelatin but I would be a little hesitant about using it. So I need to try making the Agar instead; just too much going on right now.
It's wonderful to see the little seedlings. I find it interesting that the Columbine seeds are getting moldy. Maybe some seeds just don't like this method of germination. I'll check out the Gardenbuddies forum. Fun work you are doing!
That gel method is interesting. I can imagine that the sugar and stuff that the plants like is also appreciated by fungus. You're going to have lots of green there this year!
Post a Comment